Pages

Thursday, October 28, 2010

If I take one more step...

...it'll be the farthest away from home I've ever been.

Today, I've been in France for one month. Now, France is not the farthest away from home I've ever been (that's Cambodia), and I'm sure I went more than a month without going home while I lived in Indiana. But home was always a possibility. This feels like the place where distance and time combine to make me feel like Sam as he took that step away from the Shire. 

(Am I a dork for referencing Lord of The Rings on my blog? Yes. Get used to it.)

One month also seems like a good time to finally share this blog with other people.
But I have a lot to catch you up on. So here's the short version:

Housing: I've rented a tiny French studio in a little town, Elbeuf, near my schools. When it's decorated, I'll share pictures.


Schools: I'm assisting with English classes in three French elementary schools. My tasks and responsibilities vary depending on the school and the teacher, but everyone has been helpful. The students think I'm very interesting, which is a nice change.

Language: Living in another language has presented challenges that I didn't expect, like people assuming I'm stupid because I say things like, “I train station go. Where?” But my listening (or guessing) skills are growing exponentially, and my speaking skills are following, just at a much slower rate. I say “oui” a lot, in various tones of voice, depending on how much I understand.

Other:
I've eaten so many pastries...and so much delicious bread. I love grocery shopping.
Flattering, no?



I visited Paris for a day with a few other Americans.


 I got to see the English Channel, I've seen three movies in French without subtitles (Social Network wasn't such a good idea...too much talking, not enough action), I found the library, and I've filled out more paperwork than I could ever imagine...and I'm not done yet.

But I'm excited to share my adventures and misadventures with all of you here.

Bisous! (That means kisses!)

3 comments:

  1. you wouldn't be my twin if you weren't at least a lil bit of a dork! =0)

    wow, three different schools??? that sounds a lil crazy! did you know you'd be doing that beforehand?

    i'm very glad you finally decided to share this with people! having a blog and keeping it all to yourself was a lil silly! and keep the pictures coming!

    ps- i saw the social network in english and didn't really love it as much as most ppl, so maybe you're not missing too much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I <3 that you quoted Lord of the Rings... it kinda made my day. :)

    and I love that you are a writer because you're blog is so fun and interesting to read :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! I'm excited to share with all of you.

    And I assumed I'd have three schools because most primary assistants do...but I'm still only working 12 hours a week, so it's not too crazy.

    Twin- I still want to see the Social Network, just to see what everyone was so angry about.

    ReplyDelete