Pages

Friday, January 28, 2011

Fun French Friday: Les Soldes

It's dangerous times in France right now. 
Well, for my bank account at least.

And also for these poor sweaters:


Alas, that's Les Soldes.

France has official, government regulated sales twice a year: in June/July and January/February.
This gives the stores a chance to move out old merchandise and show off the new spring collections currently appearing in stores.

And me? Well, I want lots of pretty things. Unfortunately, most of France's sale prices are still a little too pricey for my budget. I'm waiting until the very end, when things get down to 70% off.  The racks will probably look a little like Charlotte Russe's clearance racks then...cheap, but mostly a little strange.  I'm working on the idea of investing in my closet and buying more expensive, quality pieces that I'll wear again and again, but I still have a relatively cheap price point for most items.

Also, I don't think I'm really a fan of this system of sales. Although French stores can have promotions at other times, the reductions aren't as steep.  I like the freedom of knowing that any time I walk into a Kohl's in the United States, they will have a clearance rack for me to browse through. It's a lot of pressure to know that if I don't buy things on sale right now, I'll have to wait for June to get really good prices again. But it is nice to know there is a lot less "pricing clothes higher, just to put them on sale" like I see so often with certain retailers at home.  I know other countries, like Britain, have a similar sales system.

What do you think? Good idea or no?

2 comments:

  1. I'm just excited that sales will be going on when I'm there! But I agree that I don't like the idea of this sales system...

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah... my first thought was, "score! government mandated sales!" but then as i read on it sounded less appealing...

    ReplyDelete