Pages

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Back in France

Sorry for the radio silence. I've been enjoying two wonderful weeks home with my family and friends. And since those are most of the people who read this blog, I didn't feel too bad about just savoring my time at home.

It was wonderful: Christmas cookies, tree decorating, snuggling on the couch, Just Dance 2 marathons, Lego Rock band, carols, dishes, all the clothes I've been missing, shopping and so many other great moments.

But yesterday I had to make the long trek back to France. A friend of mine in college used to do happies and crappies on her blog, and all day I kept thinking of my own. Traveling is always a little stressful, but there are always good things too:

Happy: Spending two weeks with my family and friends.
Crappy: Spending only two weeks with my family and friends.

Happy: Being in the first group of people sent to a new security line in the Chicago airport. Hello, no wait!!

Crappy: Lugging my broken suitcase through the Chicago airport and the Paris metro. I wanted wheels.

Happy: The mom next to me in the Chicago airport reading "Anne of Green Gables" to her kids.

Crappy: The French man who sat in my seat on the airplane, then acted like it was all my fault.  Also, United's Economy Plus seating. I'm pretty sure they just squished the other seats together to give more leg room to the people willing to pay $97 extra. My legs did not appreciate it.

Happy: Two New Years! I celebrated Paris' midnight in Chicago with my family and another one over the Atlantic ocean!

Happy: Free transportation in the Ile-de-France for New Year's Day! No 10 plus euros to get from the airport to the train station in Paris.

Crappy: I was careful not to fly in on a Sunday, because the busses don't run on Sundays in my small town...however, they also don't run on holidays...like New Years Day. Stranded at the train station in the spitting rain? Not so much fun.

Happy: The women who gave me a ride home. Nice to know there are still nice strangers in the world.

Crappy: Returning to my really cold apartment.

Happy: Sliding my feet into my brand new Muk-Luk slippers to keep them warm.

I miss you all already!

4 comments:

  1. Miss you too, but glad you are back safe and no longer stranded! :-) How did the shopping Monday turn out??? You girls planted the seed in my head...couldn't get away on Monday, but I found some good things on Tuesday night at VOA! Made me happy for $21 (that included a swede leather jacket, several tops and shoes too!). Aunt Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have thought about calling or texting you a couple of times and was sad when I remembered that I can't (unless I want to see my firstborn and an arm/leg) so thankful for Skype so I can see your face or hair and turtleneck! :D haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. that was suppose to be sell... not see. typing faster than my brain can function.

    ReplyDelete
  4. K- Thanks! Our shopping went really well. I was pleasantly surprised with Plato's Closet and we all found some good things. Glad you found such good stuff; I definitely need to go thrifting with you sometime!

    B-Not your firstborn! We'll stick to Skype. And I think everyone should get to see my turtleneck...it's a gift that must be shared with the world!

    ReplyDelete