Pages

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Back to School

My vacation is over. It was relaxing, but now I'm ready to get back to school. My days need a little purpose, a little work. (Although, if anyone is interested in funding a year or two of my life in a foreign country just writing, sightseeing, photographing, eating and crafting...I wouldn't say no.)

The most exciting part of my vacation was a day in Paris. It was marvelously, deliciously sunny...the kind that made me want to sing about sunbeams turning to lemon drops.


We found ourselves on the Champs-Élysées.


We oogled a few windows. In French, this is called “faire du lèche-vitrines,” or “Window Licking.” This is something I'm much more likely to actually do at a patisserie. I dare you to look at this and not salivate a little.
{flaky, sugary, custardy deliciousness} 

We also made our way to the Eiffel Tower and up to Montmarte to see Sacré Coeur.



Other vacation highlights included two visits to a French version of Goodwill, spending time with friends, receiving my first paycheck and my debit card, and going on photo explorations of Elbeuf. Watch for those photos soon.

But now it's back to school. That is actually why I came to France.

That and the bread...oh the bread...

Where was I?
Ah yes. School.

I'm assisting in three French schools--Monod and Camus (which are actually one building but different schools) and Jules Verne.

I'm incredibly excited. And unsure.

I'm finally figuring out what my actual role will be in my classes. In some, it seems like I will just be a talking head, serving as a live example of good pronunciation for whatever lesson is being taught. But in others I'm going to get to plan lessons.

In most cases, I seem to be somewhat superfluous. Most of the teachers know English well enough to teach it, and I sometimes feel like I'm just getting in their way; I hope this feeling will subside as my schedule gets organized.

Either way, I'm exited about working with the primary students. They're about the same as 1st through 5th graders in the United States, and they seem great. I'm somewhat of a novelty right now, so they all want to play soccer and marbles with me (that's right, French kids play marbles) and try to speak English.

However, most of them just know, "What is your name?" "Vat iz yur nam?" Very cute.

There were some other great moments when I introduced myself to the classes:

Everyone seemed to know about Las Vegas, even the first graders.

A second grader asked if I knew Marilyn Monroe.

Other good questions:

"Is everyone in the United States rich? Everyone has big houses and big cars, yes?"

"Do lots of people live in the United States?"

2 comments:

  1. ooo, i can't wait to see pictures of Elbeuf! everytime i read that word though, it makes me think of shia lebouf (or however you spell his name...)! =0p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok maybe I'm just not very up on French culture but I have no clue what "Champs Elysees" is... and I could google but what's the fun in that? and I think I like "Window Licking" so much more than Window shopping. :-) that actually made me laugh out loud. I just have this picture of all these people licking the windows as they stroll down the street.... great mental image.

    ReplyDelete