Pages

Friday, November 5, 2010

Fun French Fridays

Welcome to my new blog feature: Fun French Fridays.  Every Friday*, I'm going to give you a small (and completely out of context) peek at life in France, by focusing on the minutia of my existence**, the things I'd never think to mention during a phone call.

First, France has fancy toilet paper. Mine is pink.



















Also available: scented or heart and flower patterns (or boring white, but who wants that?). And it isn't just the super-expensive, luxe "papier toilette." This pink stuff? The cheapest available in my supermarket.

I just had a great idea: who wants to join me in February for some appropriately-colored Valentine's Day TP-ing? (Although, I'm not sure they TP in France. So far, I've seen egging and some paintball vandalism, but no toilet paper.)




Secondly, France doesn't have window screens***. But France does have shutters.



Almost all the windows I've seen here have "les volets." I like them because they make my ground floor apartment feel very secure, they are good for my heating bill and they keep all the sunlight out, which is great for sleeping in. I don't like them because I have to open my windows twice a day to open and close the shutters and they keep all the sunlight out, which is a problem when I don't have time to sleep in.

*Friday chosen because: My name is Elizabeth, and I'm addicted to alliteration. {All together now: "Hi, Elizabeth."}

**Warning: these are details of my life in France in particular. I'm not saying all these details are true for all of France, all the time.

***See Warning above. For example, some people probably really do have window screens; I have yet to meet these people.

5 comments:

  1. i LOVE Fun French Fridays! this has officially been the highlight of my friday night! i was first very excited to catch up on some of your older blog posts and then i exited out of it, but then when i clicked on the link in the email i sent anne (yes, i emailed her your blog b/c i don't think she used her fb ever anymore) to make sure it worked i saw that you had a new post!

    do they not have bugs in france? b/c i could see how not having screens would be okay if there was an absence of bugs, but if they do then i might not be in favor of the no screens thing. i'm not a fan of bugs.

    and i would love to join you for some pink V-day TPing! i've never actually gone TPing... so french TPing would be a double first for me!

    also, i love your footnotes. you're so clever. one of our many twin-ly attributes! haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps- i also just figured out what your blog title means. =0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. :-) I enjoyed this as well. Especially the pics of the TP, very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks girls. I have all kinds of things planned for Fridays, so I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    Bethany-they have bugs. Big ones, little ones, spiders that are smarter than me. I've made a truce with one in my bathroom. Not sure why they don't have screens. P.S. You're so clever too!

    Erin-Thanks! They turned out a little dark because I forgot to take them in the daylight and didn't want to use my flash. Did you like the scarf "backdrop?"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Elizabeth.

    I, too, greatly enjoy your little writings. Can't wait to learn all about the random things of France.
    :)

    ReplyDelete